best when viewed in low light

10.05.2008

No Jesus Jokes!

I just received this text:

Jesus was a community organizer. Pontius Pilate was a governor.

We've already established that I'm voting for Obama, so let's take that as a given when I say this.

Deifying a human being is an act of handing over to another human being your capacity for critical thought and rational decision-making. As a rule, I'm against this.

I get the joke...except that McCain is not a governor, and Obama is not the next messiah.

The only elected official that will ever get 100% of my vote will be the person who can stand up and say, "Here, United States, are the things we want...and here is what we can actually have. We have to make some tough decisions, and we'll need everyone's participation and agreement. But not your proxy. Not your couch-criticisms and indifference. YOU are this country. YOU make it happen, whatever IT is! Everyone will have to make compromises and sacrifices, screw people over and get screwed over, and together we will eventually reach another day."

Still waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the past...