best when viewed in low light

9.08.2011

Nicholas Satterlee

Nicholas Satterlee is my maternal grandfather, but he died before I was born. I've seen pictures of him, and I knew he was an architect, but I've only seen one or two buildings he designed.
Recently, my aunt forwarded a link to a house he designed in DC that's now for sale, and it got me thinking that I'd really love to see his whole portfolio! But I have no idea how to go about finding it.

Here's the listing:

Nicholas Satterlee was one of the leading mid-century modern architects in Washington. Satterlee had partnerships at various times with Donald Francis Lethbridge, Arthur Keyes and Chloethiel Woodard Smith before striking out on his own in 1963. Satterlee helped Smith with the Redevelopment Plan for Southwest Washington (1953-55) and won, along with Smith, the American Institute of Architects Merit Award for the Capitol Park Apartments, Section I, the first building erected in the redevelopment area. Other work included Holmes Run Acres and Pine Spring in Falls Church, Capitol Park II, Temple Sinai on Military Road and the Chevy Chase (DC) Library (1967) and the adjacent community center on Connecticut Avenue.

Satterlee also designed custom homes in the area, including this 3 bedroom/3 bath flat-roof ranch with pool on 1.5 acres in McLean.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/09/2016

    hi - it doesn't look like you still post here, but we are about to publish a guide to dc architecture that features your grandfather's work on the annex to the Woman’s National Democratic Club. Happy to send you a guide if you'd like. we're at info [at] bluecrowmedia [dot] com. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One BRATENAHL Place and Two BRATENAHL Place in CLEVELAND, Ohio are his architecture also !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blog thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison Bussler3/27/2023

    My mother, Betty Bussler, worked happily and devotedly for Nick Satterlee until he passed away. Mr Satterlee was always exceedingly kind and welcoming to me in his architectural office near DuPont Circle. Everyone enjoyed working for him and it was always a pleasure visiting him in the office, even though I was only a child. My mother, Betty Bussler spent the fondest days of her career while under Mr. Satterlee’s employ. We always spoke of him lovingly. Those were the days, let me tell you!

    ReplyDelete

In the past...