best when viewed in low light

10.31.2006

Fantasy Fantasy

Dear Imaginary Reader:
Interspersed with observations about the comedy that is our daily lives, you'll happily find little reveries about what's coming...the sooner the better. Though my distaste for the inadequacies of human development is palpable, I assure you I have great hope for the future. In fact, it is the promise of the future paired with my intense idealism that nurtures the ever-growing canker of disillusionment and dissatisfaction with reality.

So bravely into the alt/synth world of the future of human evolution we go...

Nick Yee is my new best friend. Well, not really, but if I were a PhD student at Stanford, I would be bringing him coffee and donuts in the library every day, trying really hard to get him to be my friend.

His observations of human behavior in the expanding world of MMOGS and MMORPGS, based on actual statistical data and voluntary, user-generated qualitative data, deserves a serious read-through. Especially if you're not a gamer. If you want to know what those crazy kids are up to these days, check out some of the articles on his blog:

The one that caught my attention, and the one that held it for hours, scrolling, scrolling...

The real beauty of this alt fantasy synthetic immersive environment? You can get past all that prejudicial bullshit that your eyes and sex drive dictate. Funny thing is, based on these two articles, and especially the comments, everyone's still just trying to find someone to fuck.

Ahhh, the human instinct for survival is alive and well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the past...