best when viewed in low light

3.05.2007

What's News? 3/5/7

I have one reader! Thank you, Schnookums!

So, in honor of this amazingly flattering event, I'd like to instigate what those in the internest call a "feature". But I'm going to call it "What's News?" and it's actually more like a half-assed anecdote.

And, since I know someone is actually likely to read these missives, I'll give you a quick summary of the goal of this half-assed anecdote.

What's News? is my half-assed attempt to survey globally-relevant news topics from a number of sources (the BBC will be heavily represented, as always) and give a one- or two-line reason why I think this is...well, whatever I think this is. Since my usual commentary focuses on 1) hypocrisy in action, 2) media manipulation, or 3) self-selected blindness in all forms, my guess is that these anecdotes will likely revolve around the same vectors of analysis.

So, on to today's What's News?

1. The US is still bombing in Afghanistan, and this time, they're actually killing people. [BBC News]


2. The US is still being bombed in Baghdad, and they're still killing people. Nice photo...almost makes it look like the set of a Tom Hanks/Clint Eastwood collaboration. [New York Times]

3. The sky is falling! The sky is falling! No, it's just the overdue corrections of bloated international money markets scaring the pants off the people who only make money from the little crumbs that fall off those big cakes of gold, you know, that people actually earn by, you know, making stuff. (You're a true poet, Tom Wolfe.) [The Economist]

4. The Israelis come up with yet another way to marginalize the Palestinians, while the Palestinians get a head start figuring out when and how they're going to bomb those fuckers. [Le Monde Diplomatique]

5. We send them off to war, but we don't plan for them to come home. Ah, the burdens of modern medicine. [Washington Post]

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the past...