best when viewed in low light

7.08.2008

Inter Oper... Just Get My Avatar Outta Here!

Three cheers for IBM & SL who've finally broken the cherry!

Moving avatars from one world to another is a lame replacement for real human teleportation, but hey, it's a start.

I can just imagine the terrible virtual stand up comedy about this...

"So, hey, I just teleported in from Azeroth and boy are my fingers tired!

And when I got here, the SecondLifers got really mad when I pwned their island mayor! What can I say? He looked Horde to me!"

But seriously...

The issues of avatar/real human security seem to be at the top of everyone's lists of concerns. But the real question is, what happens to the cultural diffusion? Expat warriors clubs? Night Elf Rogue Raids in the red light district?

The conventions of behavior in virtual worlds is about as heterogenous as on Earth, so it'll be interesting to see how the code of social acceptability responds. AND will this be the driver of inter- and intra-world regulations?

I don't know. But I am pretty excited that the paper I co-wrote on this topic has been "traduced" en Francais!

Neat-o promo video of the event!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the past...